Bulky Household Waste Collection
How can I dispose of large household items?
The council provides a chargeable collection service for bulky household waste items such as furniture or white goods (fridges, freezers, washing machines, sofas and so on). Collections must be pre-arranged and paid for in advance of collection.
Items for collection will need to be presented at or adjacent to your normal bin collection point. The council cannot enter private premises to collect these items.
Charges for the service are currently:
- Bulky items such as furniture, cookers, washing machines and domestic fridges/freezers are collected at a cost of £31 for up to five items.
- £3 for each additional item.
- A maximum of ten items can be put out for collection.
There is a concessionary rate of 50% reduction for residents in receipt of Housing or Council Tax benefit.
This reduced rate is for one collection only during the year
To use this service phone the Waste Management office on 01638 719284. Payments can be made over the telephone by debit or credit card or in person at any of the offices. Alternatively you can complete an application form and return it to us by post.
When will we collect?
After receipt of payment, your collection day will be arranged.
When We Will Collect
Collections take place between 6.30am and 4.30pm. No time slot can be allocated.
We will collect a maximum of ten (see details of charges above) household items such as a three-piece suite (which is classed as three items), carpets, chairs, bed, mattress, etc. The general rule is; if you would take it with you when you move house, it is likely to be suitable for this service.
Terms & Conditions
- There is a £31.00 non refundable charge, payable in advance, for the first 5 items. Additional items are charged at £3.00 each
- We will collect and dispose of up to ten household items per collection
- Items should not be filled with other rubbish
- Items for collection must be presented at, or adjacent to, your normal bin collection point. Collection staff cannot enter your property or out-buildings
- If two identical items are found on site, but only one is stated in the request for collection, NONE of the items in question will be taken.
- Only items arranged for collection will be removed
- Amendments can only be made to the collection up to 3pm on the day before the collection is due and cannot exceed the quantity initially paid for
- The service is only available to FHDC residents for certain household items and excludes house clearances
Household Waste & Recycling Centres
You can take your household rubbish or items for recycling to a household waste and recycling centre free of charge. Household waste sites managed by Suffolk County Council are:
MILDENHALL - off the A1065 Brandon Rd IP28 7JQ
BURY ST EDMUNDS - Rougham Hill IP33 2RN off A134
Please visit our website to view your nearest recycling centres and opening times for the household waste sites.
There are alternative sites where restrictions and charges apply:
- NEWMARKET - Depot Road off the Exning Rd CB8 0AN (managed by Newmarket Open Door Charity - 01638 560018)
- THETFORD - Burrell Way IP24 3RW (managed by Norfolk County Council - Tel: 0344 800 8020 http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/)
Don't Just Dump It!
Fly-tipping is a serious criminal offence, which carries a maximum penalty of up to £50,000 and/or 12 months imprisonment.